MCSR (Mechanical Single Rope Grab)
The Single Rope Grab, also called Touch-Down Grab, is especially designed for cranes (like ship board cranes) with a single cable drive. A mechanism on the grab, locks/unlocks the grab to open or close each time it touches the ground. This system is mostly prefered, if there is only one cable available.
A step by step description of a touch-down mechanism:
- Grab is lowered at open position.
- After grab touches down on the material, the rope from the crane is released until lose. The mechanism is locked now.
- The grab is pulled up and will close (buckets or tines), filling up with material.
- The loaded grab is taken to destination.
- At unloading destination (in this case, a hopper), the grab will be lowered to touch-down again until crane rope is loose again. The mechanism is unlocked now.
- When lifted, the material will spill out as the grab opens.
- The grab is empty.
- The grab is taken to loading destination